Tuesday, February 14, 2012

This Valentine's Day is Dedicated to My Brother

He is such a good guy. And long ago when we were kids, he gave me a recipe box with cards he'd printed himself. I enthusiastically collected a lot of recipes from my aunts and wrote them on the cards.


This is the recipe for my favorite cookies, Gingersnaps. The words are hard to read now, but it and the box it resides in are still a treasure to me. 

Gingersnaps
3/4 c. soft shortening
1 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg, unbeaten
1/4 c. molasses
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons soda
1 teaspoon each: ginger, cinnamon and cloves

Combine shortening, sugar and egg in mixing bowl; beat until fluffy. Add molasses and beat well. Sift dry ingredients together and add; mix well. Chill dough thoroughly; shape into 1" balls and roll in granulated sugar. Place 2" apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 min. Makes 4 dozen "crinkle-top" cookies.

Happy Valentine's Day to you and all your favorite people!





2 comments:

  1. You made me think that I have recipe cards that look like this,too; some are in my mother's hand and are very much treasured by me. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandson is coming over this afternoon. I think we'll make your gingersnaps. Perfect for a rainy day. I love pass-along recipes.

    ReplyDelete