Monday, March 26, 2012

How Do You Draw An Iris?

A young man walked into my room at the end of class one day last week and asked, "How do you draw an iris?"

I asked, "Do you mean the flower?"

He said, "No, I mean that part of an eye."


Hmmm, I thought. This is a bit of a stumper. 

I finally said, "I suggest that you find a good closeup picture of an iris and study it. Then try to draw what you see."

That wasn't good enough for him. He asked me to direct him to another teacher who could provide a better answer. He said, "I've asked about ten art teachers so far and no one has an answer for me." I think he must have been looking for a one-two-three guide.

Drawing is an act of discovery that no one else can do for you. It involves looking, seeing, practicing, and finding your own way. Guidance and skill-building can help a lot. And the wonderful thing about drawing is that there are an infinite number of ways to do it well. There are many ways to draw an iris.

No comments:

Post a Comment