Wednesday, August 1, 2012

On Being Rude


My printmaking classes for fall semester, like many others at LBCC, filled up in the first three weeks of registration and now include huge wait lists. But because class sizes were increased for the fall, perhaps as a way to help alleviate difficulties due to the budget cuts caused by the California financial crisis, I have too many students enrolled as it is. I don't plan to add anyone to my introductory screenprinting class.

This situation is frustrating for all of us.

In this climate, I am experiencing something new as a teacher. I'm getting rude, threatening e-mails from students who can't get into my class. They seem to think all this is my fault and that I'm targeting them personally.

What are they thinking? That I'll respond to their rudeness by happily giving them a seat in my classroom? Why would anyone think it is fine to send a rude and threatening e-mail to a teacher because the class is full?

No comments:

Post a Comment