Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Hello Again!


Leaving (detail), 2013
from the Memory Loss series
ink, watercolor, paraffin, relief print, screenprint, collage on paper
12" x 12"

It is nice to be back!

Much has changed in my art world since I last wrote in August. I quit teaching in December, after thirteen years in the printmaking classrooms of Long Beach City College. Now I focus that attention and energy on my own art work. And it feels like such a sea change! To have so much more time in my studio for thought, experimentation, problem solving and follow-through is invaluable.

I've recently completed the Memory Loss series, eight mixed media works on paper. Using torn leaves as metaphor, this series is a tribute to my mother, Marian Hughes Shuff, who suffered from memory loss in the last years of her life. The Memory Loss series can be seen on my newly updated website, www.anniestromquist.com, within a few days. I hope you'll take a look.


Inspired by Zarina, 1   2013
edition of 12
linoleum print with chin colle
8 1/2" x 8 1/2"

You'll also see there a series of three linoleum prints with chine colle called Inspired by Zarina. The artist, Zarina Hashmi (who goes only by her first name) was the subject of an exquisite exhibition, called Paper Like Skin at The Hammer last fall. I saw it in December and was mesmerized by it. I'm so glad to note that the show moved on to the Guggenheim in New York and then to the Art Institute of Chicago. Zarina's work deserves a lot of attention.

Sophie

One thing that has not changed since my last post in August is Sophie's role as Guard Cat. He is still as vigilant as ever.


1 comment:

  1. And I just discovered that you are back! Looking forward to catching up!

    ReplyDelete