Friday, November 13, 2009

Rubber Band Drawings

Start with some objects that have interesting shapes. Here I've got a cork screw, a bottle opener, an eraser, a pastry cutter, and a wheelie thing that Joe brought back from the swap.

.

Wrap the objects in multiple rubber bands of various sizes.

.

Use a brayer to roll out some waterbased relief ink on the table top.


.

Transfer ink with the brayer onto the wrapped objects and stamp into wet paper. The paper can be on the ready in a soaking tray or you can simply wet it at the table with a spray bottle of water.


.
After you've finished stamping with the wrapped objects, you can add watercolor with a brush.


.
Here is a finished rubberband drawing.


.
I did seven drawings today, and added watercolor to some. I will wait until they dry and add more watercolor. I might add pencil or pastel. I might even wet them again and add more stamping. After I've finished these, I'll put them away for a few days and then pull them out for a review with a fresh and critical eye, to see if any make the cut. To be successful, the drawings must be transformed visually into compositions that are more than the sum of the parts.

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, I see music in the finished rubberband drawing...WOULDN'T that be a great jazz album cover. Or maybe one for the Anh Trio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so cool! i will certanily try this, since my teacher wants me to experiment a little more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cathy and Artist! Cathy, I've not heard of the Anh Trio... would you please tell more, next time you check in here? Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Wikipedia (I can't paste into here, so it's paraphrased): They are 3 sisters who make up a classical piano trio (piano, violin, cello). They "thrive on dissolving barriers between art forms". "They have fused their work with that of dancers, pop singers, DJs, painters, installation artists, photographers, lighting designers, ecologists, and even kite makers."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I bet they are great!. I'm going to look for them on Amazon.
    Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these are really cool!!
    Did you know I come to check your blog to be inspired?!? I always am!!
    -Nicole Schenk :)

    ReplyDelete