Friday, August 20, 2010

Another Artist Who Created Screenprints




Snowy Egret
Charles Harper




Trumpeter Swan
Charles Harper


I'll add Charles Harper to my list of artists to show my screenprinting class next week. He created a series of screenprints of stylized birds for the Ford Times magazine in the early 1950's. Hugely popular, these serigraphs were later reproduced in a book called Birds and Words. Charles Harper said, "When I am asked to give a name to the way I work, I call it minimal realism. Wildlife art without the fuss and feathers. I don't try to put everything in - I try to leave everything out. I think flat, simple, hard-edge and funny...I see exciting shapes, color combinations, patterns, textures, fascinating behavior and endless possibilities for making interesting pictures. And so I have never counted the feathers in the wings, for that is not what my pictures are about. I just count the wings."

No comments:

Post a Comment