Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Results of The Monoprint Demo

I did the Monoprint Demo for the Intaglio class the other night and, happily, it was a success. Demo success can be gaged by the following: 1) When revealing the fresh demo print at the end of the press roll, the participants react with an impromptu "AHHHHH!" 2) Everyone is enthusiastic about doing their own monoprints as soon as possible.

The first monoprint of the demo, created by applying ink to a plexiglass plate with a brayer used like a paint brush and using found objects to "draw" textures and lines. Some shapes were cut out of
old manilla folders, inked and laid on the plexi surface. When the image seemed finished, it was printed on paper using the etching press.

A "ghost" monoprint created from ink leftover on the plate with a few added embellishments.

A third "ghost" with added embellishments. Everyone had a part in creating this monoprint. Sort of Lari Pittman-esque!



The final monoprint of the session, created by Traci Durfee, Roger O'Leary-Archer, and Lorraine Papadopoulos.

4 comments:

  1. So interesting - all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to take your print class. The last print I made was a linoleum print (a reverse copy of an ancient a print of a rabbi, I think) back in the 70s, and I still remember that thrill when I pealed off the paper from the block. Now, a fan of found art, I bet I'd love this mono print thing.

    --RCH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you've had the chance to look at a blog I follow--Urban Sketchers. These people definitely fall at the engaged end of the Detached Connoisseurship/Engaged Creativity continuum; undeterred by conventional understanding of good or bad, professional or, dare I say it, amateurish. They're just creating, experiencing the moment by an art form that requires complete attention. I think that's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the Urban Sketchers blog is terrific and inspiring. And it would be great to have you in my class!

    ReplyDelete